Sunday, June 16, 2013

Small Town USA!

The toughest day on the trail was my ride from Lincoln, MT to Simms, MT. It was a total of 40 miles but the side winds and climbs were brutal.  I made it to the Continental Divide by way of Roger's Pass. On my way up I found a sign that said I was in a historic place.
 Then I made it to the Continental Divide.
The downhill after Roger's Pass was great for about 6 miles.  Then the rolling hills and side winds came.  It was difficult to keep my bike on the road at times because of the winds.  My jacket sleeves were  blowing to the side the winds were so bad.  I made it though.  Once I finally got to Simms, MT the ride became great.  The roads flattened out and I had a tailwind.

I then went to Great Falls, MT were I had another visitor waiting for me.  Tarah flew in that morning to spend a few days with me on the trail and ride a little bit.  It is so nice to have someone around and I've been very blessed to have such great friends and family support me.
Getting to Great falls was pretty tough so I wanted to take a shorter ride to rest my legs some.  I went about 55 miles into Fort Benton, MT.  I thought Dayton, Wa, was like Mayberry until I went to Fort Benton.  This little town had more spunk that most big cities.  As soon as I pulled in the first car I see on the road is an old Model T.  

It didn't take long to find out the happenings for the night.  The buzz around town was a wedding and the Model T car show.  We got a hotel room in the historic downtown area.  Suzy was the owner of the motel and she took care of us.  She told us about the happenings in town and then shared with Tarah and I that her friend John rents canoes and we could go on the Missouri River for a few hours.  We jumped on that.  I thought if I didn't have to use my legs I would be fine.  So we sat out on a 17 mile canoe trip that was peaceful and gorgeous.  
After we left Fort Benton, I decided to take my ride a little farther than planned.  I wanted to make it to Lewistown, MT.  The ride was 100 miles but I thought I could catch up on some time.  There were a few hills in the way but all and all the ride went well.  I was fatigued throughout the day but I've come to grips that I will be tired everyday until I get finished with this trip. After 7 hours 32 minutes in the saddle I made it to Lewistown, MT.
!
 God Bless America!

1 comment: